Home Decor, DIY, Parties, Nesting, Cooking, Random Thoughts...all part of our family's journey

Monday, January 20, 2014

Jeshua's Superhero Birthday Party



Jeshua turned five this past week and we celebrated with a Superhero Birthday Party!


My favorite place to decorate for parties is our fireplace mantle in our living room. We have a pretty small house, so our guests hang out in there or the kitchen for most of the party.  For Jeshua's Superhero Party I sewed a pennant banner from turquoise and yellow fabric and some of my husband's vintage comic books (I asked first!).  I found the fabric and ribbon at Hobby Lobby.  The frames I already had so I added vintage superhero pictures I found online.


Guests were invited with an invitation designed by my sister.  I lined the envelopes with some polka dot paper I already had and added some comic book confetti.


For food I served cake, fruit with dip, cookies and mac and cheese cups.  We had kool aid and water to drink.



I had grand plans for the decorations on this table but our house was hit hard with the flu and it just didn't happen.  I filled three apothecary jars with curled paper and sprinkled some comic book confetti on the table.  You can check out my Superhero Party Pinterest board for more inspiration. :)





My mom decorated the cake for me.  Note to self:  take the cakes out of the pan the night before so they don't stick (and make a huge mess!).  (I used this recipe -- so easy and tastes way better than a box mix!).


For games, we attacked "bad guys" (the green balloons), drew our own comic books and played superheroes.  I found the blank comic book pages online, stapled them in a piece of card stock and covered the staples with washi tape.  We picked up a helium tank at Target (it's the cheapest place around here) and it's enough for all three of our birthday parties for the year.


We also had a photo booth where we could show off our best superhero poses.  I had the skyline printed as an engineering print at Staples for $5.00.


Guests went home with a goodie bag filled with superhero toys, fruit snacks and stickers.  I found the blue lunch bags, toys, stickers, fruit snacks and yellow washi tape at Target.

We had a fun day playing superheroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment