Home Decor, DIY, Parties, Nesting, Cooking, Random Thoughts...all part of our family's journey

Saturday, March 29, 2014

eb & ezer: the meaning behind the name


I know I've posted a bit about our new business, eb & ezer, but I haven't posted about what the name means.  It comes from 1 Samuel 7.12:

"Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, 'Thus far the Lord has helped us.'"

What has just happened is the Ark of the Covenant has been returned to Israel after it was taken by the Philistines as punishment for their apostasy.  Samuel gathers all the people in Mizpah to rededicate themselves to God.  The Philistines hear about the gathering and decide to attack.  God supernaturally intervened and routed the Philistines before they could attack.  The Israelites pursued them.  After the battle, Samuel erects a standing stone as a memorial of the events of the day.

This has been my favorite Bible verse since I was young -- my favorite hymn is "Come Thou Fount" and features this term too.

Whenever I reach a difficult place in my life I can look back and see how far the Lord has brought me and know He will continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment