Home Decor, DIY, Parties, Nesting, Cooking, Random Thoughts...all part of our family's journey

Monday, May 12, 2014

New Recipe of the Week: Vegetable Orzo

Vegetable Orzo
I purchased some orzo last week to make Shrimp Orzo for Josh but needed a quick meal for the boys and myself one evening while Josh was at work:  vegetable orzo is what I came up with!

Since I made this up on the fly the measurements are imprecise, but here's what I did:

Vegetable Orzo
Serves 1-2
1/2 T Butter
1 c orzo
1 c chicken broth
1/4 onion, minced
1 T garlic, minced
1/2 c broccoli, chopped finely
1/4 bell pepper, minced
2 T feta cheese

Melt the butter on the stovetop in a small pot. Add orzo and lightly toast.  Pour in the broth and simmer until the liquid is gone (just be careful it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot). 

Meanwhile, mix the vegetables and cheese in a small bowl.  Stir in the orzo and serve!

When Josh got off work I made a batch for him and added mushrooms to the butter in the pot.  I was out of smoked sundried tomatoes and pimentos -- they would have been really good in this as well!  Some grilled chicken or sundered tomato chicken sausage would be a good addition too.  I cut my veggies super small because I was serving it to Corban -- you can leave them bigger if you want.

Jeshua and Elias of course didn't eat it, but Corban, Josh and I loved it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment